Saturday 18 April 2020

I feel privileged

Pardon me if I'll be brutal...

I've told these things before in this sparselly written blog of mine - I'm in a sort of "quarantine" since years now.
- my mum needs my attention 24/7 at home;
- I usually go out just for buying food, medicines or go to the bank or post office;
- I work from home the very few jobs I can find;
- basically I'm living with my mother's social allowance;
- it's been ages since I've hung out with friends regularly.

But... even if my situation has been like this for at least five year and this emergency will postpone the final chapter of my long trial tribulations, I feel highly privileged:
- my house is mine (thanks to my friends and family help), no mortgage, no rent;
- I have a huge private garden where I can go for a walk and two wonderful cats to keep me company;
- I am "officially" unemployed and poor, and although I cannot access any benefit, I have no impelling tax to pay.

But most of all...

Being labelled as "poors" because we have less than 5000 euro in our bank/postal accounts, my mother and me have access to some services:
- volunteers delivery food and medicines at home if we need it;
- my municipality gave us some food for free (flour, milk, canned vegetables, pasta, rise, jams and so on);
- my bills are reduced by a small percentage (not much, but it's welcome anyway).

Alberto always taught me to always see the bright side of things, so even if the Covid-19 pandemic is a terrible, terrible catastrophe, it somehow makes me feel pampered.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment has to be approved by the owner before appearing on the blog. Be patient, please. Thank you.